OUR MOST MEMORABLE FASHION MOMENTS OF 2018
- Stella McCartney, Miley Cyrus and Paris Jackson all made a sustainable fashion statement together at the Met Ball, rocking Stella’s namesake label.
2. New York Fashion Week had their most diverse runway season ever, with over 44% of models being of colour, as well as showcasing an increased representation of age and size. Prioritising inclusivity has been on everyone’s agenda, and we are on board with speaking to every body! Most notably, the Pyer Moss show was a standout, celebrating women of culture.
3. Livia Firth, Creative Director of sustainability consultancy Eco-Age and Founder of the Green Carpet Challenge, wore a silk dress made by Giambattista Valli Haute Couture to the Met Gala. The gown was crafted using silk from Taroni, renowned for its commitment to responsible production. In true eco style, she teamed it with an old pair of shoes. And why not. Consequently, Livia is a serious style icon and we’re taking fashion notes.
4. Sir Ralph Lauren was granted an honorary knighthood by Her Majesty The Queen. Lauren is a self-made success, hailing from the Bronx and his namesake label has seen over 50 years in fashion. He has also been recognised for his services in trade and philanthropy.
5. Meghan Markle’s major fashion moment was indeed her second wedding dress designed by Stella McCartney, featuring an elegant high neckline. She was completely swoon-worthy during the ceremony wearing an off-the-shoulder classic Givenchy, but it was the reception gown that stole our hearts. The moment she stepped out in the fluid McCartney silk, our jaws dropped, making it one to remember.
6. Fashion Houses Versace, Diane Von Furstenburg, Coach and Burberry announced their decision to ban real fur.
7. Kate Middleton continued to ravish when when she wore an Alexander McQueen number to Prince Louis’ Christening. We can’t get over the genuine joy on her face every time she sees her baby boy, as if the dress wasn’t enough to melt our (McQueen of) hearts.
8. More of a What-Was-She-Thinking Moment than anything else, Melania Trump sparked outrage when she wore a “I REALLY DON’T CARE, DO YOU?” jacket, travelling to Texas to visit facilities that house and care for children taken from their parents at the US/Mexican border. In rebuttal, a source close to Melania told The New York Times that the jacket was actually directed at critics on her decision to visit the children. Whichever the case, it was certainly memorable.
9. Eugenie was the perfect Princess at her wedding to Jack Brooksbank this year. She emulated sheer bliss as she entered St. George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle, creating a resounding “aw” moment, the world over. But let’s take a moment to talk about Poppy Delevingne who was topped with a faux-feather fascinator, making a vegan-friendly fashion statement, while the powder blue embroidered lace dress was pure wow.
10. We love Amal Clooney for her complete disregard for trends, and yet every outfit is on point. At the March For Our Lives Rally in Washington DC, Amal stepped out in pleather pants and a plaid jacket. She and Mr Clooney stood in awe as they listened, with the rest of the crowd, to the stories of survivors and students leading the charge for commonsense gun laws in the U.S.
11. Blake Lively, the pant-suit Queen, donned an emerald green jumpsuit at the Variety Power of Women: New York event. “We live in a society where women are always being minimised, and we aren’t just being minimised by other people, we are minimising ourselves at times,” says Lively. “Nothing should limit you.” All hail Queen Blake.
12. Rita Moreno revisited the dress she wore to the 1962 Oscars. Her choice to boycott the One-Time-Only dress, sent a powerful message about recycling, and cemented our desire for a timeless wardrobe. Current Rita might be every bit as gorgeous as her younger self.